Comics Plus was purchased in memory of our friend and co-worker Mary Fries.
2016 Philadelphia Flower Show
This year's theme is Explore America: 100 years of the National Park Service. Tickets cost $70. (Ticket price includes bus, driver's tip and admission). The trip takes place Friday, March 11, 2016. The bus will depart the Northampton Recreation Center at 8 AM and return by 6 PM. Purchase your tickets at the Help desk. Deadline for ticket purchase is Saturday, February 20, 2016.
Essential Elvis Tribute Show
BJE Productions, LLC presents The Essential Elvis Tribute Show starring Jeff Krick and Jeffrey Krick, Jr. at the StarLite Ballroom in the Northampton Community Center on Friday, March 18, 2016. Doors open at 7PM, show is at 8PM. Tickets are $25 per person (beer and soft drinks are included). This is a benefit for the Northampton Area Public Library. You can purchase your tickets at the library (cash only, no checks) or online at https://squareup.com/market/bje-productions-llc.
Jimmy Sturr and His Orchestra
BJE Productions, LLC presents Grammy Winning Recording Artist Jimmy Sturr and his Orchestra at the StarLite Ballroom in the Northampton Community Center on Saturday, March 19, 2016. Doors open at 5PM, show is at 6PM. Tickets are $30 per person or $50 per couple(beer and soft drinks are included). This is a benefit for the Northampton Area Public Library. You can purchase your tickets at the library (cash only, no checks) or online at https://squareup.com/market/bje-productions-llc.
Dinner and a Movie Raffle
Redner's Sub Coupons
Friends of NAPL have Redner's Sub Coupons available for purchase. They are $5 per coupon. Each coupon is good for one (1) 6" sub at any Redner's location. Choose from Italian, Turkey or Ham & Cheese. Pick your coupons up today!!
Book vs. Movie - Papertowns
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12 PM we will be watching the movie Papertowns based on the book by John Green. We will then discuss the differences between the book and the movie. For teens ages 12 - 18. Please register at the Help Desk.
New Classic Movie Series
Join us the third Wednesday of every month and watch classic movies. Our first selection will be "An Affair to Remember" starring Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, Richard Denning. Nickie Ferrante's return to New York to marry a rich heiress is well publicized as are his many antics and affairs. He meets a nightclub singer Terry McKay who is also on her way home to her fiancé. She sees him as just another playboy and he sees her as stand-offish but over several days they soon find they've fallen in love. Nickie has never really worked in his life so they agree that they will meet again in six months time atop the Empire State building. This will give them time to deal with their current engagements and for Nickie to see if he can actually earn a living. He returns to painting and is reasonably successful. On the agreed date, Nickie is waiting patiently for Terry who is racing to join him. Fate intervenes however resulting in misunderstanding and heartbreak and only fate can save their relationship. This Classic movie will be shown Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 6 PM.
Preschool Block Party
Playing is learning! Play and build with our new block collection. Have fun, while at the same time; strengthen vocabulary, problem solving abilities, reading readiness, and social skills. Recommended for preschoolers ages 2 and up accompanied by an adult. No registration required. Monday, February 22 at 10:00 AM
Monday, March 7, 2016 at 10 AM - Music and movement for early childhood, presented by Deb Krall.
Registration begins Monday, February 8, 2016 at 9 AM.
Amazon Wish List
We now have an Amazon wish list that you can buy items directly for us. Here's what you do -
1. Browse the registry.
2. Click ADD TO CART or BUY WITH 1-CLICK
3. Continue shopping or proceed to checkout
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your order.
We are currently looking for adult volunteers to monitor our Teen Lounge. Please contact the library if you are interested in helping out.
- FREE computer classes are held every Wednesday evening at the library! We also have free computer instruction Saturday mornings! Click here for more information
- "Tech Talk" is a program held on the first Wednesday of every month from 1:30 to 2:30 PM. Participants should bring their iPads, Kindles, Nooks, or other tablets to the group. The staff will answer any questions you may have about using your device. No registration is required and the program is free. The next Teck Talk will be Wednesday, March 2, 2016.
Blood Pressure Screenings are held the second Monday of every monthfrom 10 AM to 12 PM and are provided by the Pennsylvania Department of Health. The next Blood Pressure Screening is Monday, March 14, 2016.
- The Adult Coloring Group meets the 2nd Wednesday of every month. The first meeting will be held Wednesday, February 10th at 6 PM.
- The Civil War Discussion Group meetings are held every 3rd Wednesday of every month. The next meeting is Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 6:30 PM. The group is free and open to the public. If you have any questions or are interested in leading the group, please call the library.
- The Friends of NAPL meetings are held the 4th Tuesday of every month. The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 23rd at 7:00 PM.
- The library's Book Discussion Group meets the 4th Wednesday of every month. They will be meeting on Wednesday, February 24th at 6:30 PM to discuss The Maytrees by Anne Dillard. Please see our Adult Programs page for more information.
- Teen Lounge
Now OPEN!! The Community Room is open from 2:30-5:00pm Monday through Wednesday for teens ages 12 through 18 on days that school is in session. This space has comfortable furniture, iPads, netbooks and other computers to use for homework, social media, apps, gamest, etc. There will be staff members and volunteers on hand to help with reasearch, homework or tech questions. To sign out a device you need to bring an ID (School ID or Library Card) and you must have an Internet Policy Form signed by a parent or guardian on file at the front desk.
- Attention Homeschoolers:
If you would like to learn about the resources available to you from the NAPL, including online databases, please call to set up a tour and orientation session with our Children's Librarian Cheryl DiGiacomo or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org .
ALSO AT THE LIBRARY
Did you know that the library collects:
* Food for the Northampton Food Bank
* We collect used ink cartridges for recycling.
* Redner's receipts.We receive 1% of the total of each receipt. The receipts must have the Redner's
Save-A- Tape total on them to be eligible.
The Friends of NAPL purchased a disc repair machine for the library! As a service to our patrons, we are willing to clean and repair your music CDs, DVDs, Books on CD, CD-ROMs, or system games for a donation of $2 each, limit 5 discs per month per patron. For more information, ask any library staff member.
Did you know...
Comics Plus has a large selection of graphic novels as well as comic books.
If you like to read...
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins try The Secret Place by Tana French.
Please note that system maintenance begins at 11:00 PM and the online catalog may not work during this time.