Alyssa K. (Children's Program Assistant)
Genres: True crime, horror, science fiction, fantasy, classic literature, children's books (especially for ages 0-2)
Why? True crime is my number one specialty! I also enjoy books that discuss cults, criminology, behavioral analysis, abnormal psychology, and ancient mythologies. Some favorite authors at the moment ar Dr. Peter Vronsky, Dr. Katherine Ramsland, and Ann Rule.
My top 5 books
- "The stranger beside me" by Ann Rule (NF 364.15232 Rul)
- "Sons of Cain: a history of serial killers from the Stone Age to the present" by Dr. Peter Vronsky
- "A Farewll to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway (F Hem)
- "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury (F Bra)
- "Room" by Emma Donoghue (F Don)
As the facilitator of our Wonderful Ones program, any book with a sing-songy rhythm or cute bouncy rhymes is an instant favorite! I always choose reads with big, bright illustrations and interactive content like making animal noises, clapping, and dancing, Books like these are so much fun to read aloud and also allows littles and their cardgivers to really connect with one another. Some of my go-to authors at the moment are: Caspar Babypants and Kate Endle, Emma Dodd, Sandra Boynton, and Jane Cabrera.
My top 5 children's books
- "Where the wild things are" by Maurice Sendak (E Sen)
- "The watermelon seed" by Greg Pizzoli (E Piz)
- "We've all got bellybuttons" by David Martin (E Mar)
- "Ten little fingers and ten little toes" by Mem Fox (E Fox)
- "Where the sidewalk ends: the poems and drawings of Shel Silverstein" by Shel SIlverstein (NF J 811.54 Sil)